Sunday, June 24, 2012

Cloud [chapter 12 edited2]

EDITED

The white-haired magician studied Lsil.

"What is this?" The magician's voice rumbled throughout the room.

The red-eyed demon answered, "The cocoon. Who else would it be?"



The magician refocused on Lsil. "What is your name?"

Lsil stared straight into the magician's eyes. "I think the question is who are you?"

"A magician, as you may have guessed."

"He asked who," The demon muttered.

"Silence," Hissed the magician.

"If you don't tell me who you are I won't tell you anything either," Retorted Lsil.

The magician studied Lsil. "I am a first ranked magician. My name is Alcea."

The demon snorted, "You should've seen him when he was younger, he-"

"Leave," Alcea growled.

The demon raised his hands in a surrender and left the room with a impressively mocking bow at the two humans.

"I'm surprised you let him do that," Lsil commented.

Alcea pulled a face. "Nothing I could do would stop him." He waved a hand in dismissal. "It does not matter. He has told you why you were brought here, correct?"

Lsil flopped down on one of the red overstuffed chairs. "Nope."

Alcea narrowed his eyes. "Do not lie to me, child. I know for a fact that the demon would not be able to resist the temptation of spilling more than he should."

"Why would I be lying?" Lsil paused to stare at the magician who looked to be in his late twenties, but by the way he spoke it was easy to tell that he was quite old, or watched too many old films. "You aren't one of those paranoid old men, are you?"

"Children of this age are quite unrefined." Alcea sighed, "They used to be much more polite."

 "Must've been the '80s, those hippies believe in peace and stuff like that."
************
 Alcea marched out of the room with the boy following behing him.

"Finished with your little chat, young masters?" I asked.

Alcea lifted me by the collar of my shirt. "You speak too much."

The kid peeked out from behind him. "Sorry, I sort of told him everything you said."

I looked back at Alcea, who was so furious that his face was actually turning purple. "What by the demons did you say?!"

"Something about a missing girlfriend...."

"Why can't humans keep secrets?" I groaned.


I glanced back at Alcea, who's face clearly told me all I had to know, 'if you spill another 'secret' I won't let you live long enough to regret it,' is that his eyes told me.

Alcea finally released me, but before I managed to take a breath of relief he snarled, "You will be on kitchen duty until you are needed. Understand?"

I bit back a witty response. "Yep, Got it boss. I'll be in the kitchens if you need me."

I spun on my heels and sped away to the kitchens before he could change his mind and assign me to a worse position, like 'the barn', a place reserved for those who managed to get on Alcea's bad side and survive. It was possibly out of pure luck and my honed skill for stretching the truth that had kept me from rotting in there 'till a zombie apocalypse killed off all of the guards.

I walked through the servant's hall which was sparsely decorated, unlike the main hall which had living vines of silver growing on its snowflake obsidian pillars.

Ebony, cherry wood, walnut, maple, ah- a cedar door.

I pushed open the cedar door to the kitchen, revealing our charming cook, Doyle, holding a plucked duck by its neck to a chopping board with one hand and a large knife-he seemed to always carry no matter the occasion-in the other.

“You again,” Doyle grunted, a sound that resembled the snort of a pig with serious digestive problems. “I have no idea why Alcea doesn’t throw you into the barn already, it would be less effort and the experience would pound away all of your rough edges too.”

“I can’t help it Doily, I’m just too charming for my own good.”

Doyle swung his knife down onto the duck’s neck, severing it cleanly from its fat body. “I have no time for your pointless chattering. Roll up your sleeves slave boy,” He smiled at me, exposing his browning teeth, “We have to welcome the cocoon with a grand feast.”

I smiled back at him as elegantly as I could the descendent of Beelzebub. “I am no slave, Doyle, merely a humble demon temporarily enslaved by a meddlesome human, like you.”

He began to gut the duck. “Don’t try to cover up your past Eranos, I know who you are, and who you thought you were.”

Who I thought I was….

Where are you going Rin?

Hey, don’t leave me!

I picked up one of the aprons from the hooks behind the door. “So, what are we cooking?”

Doyle snickered, “Still trying to hide?”

I wandered over to freezer. “Are we going to need vegetables?”

“If you keep everything bottled up its going to burst out one day, you know.”

I put a hand on the handle. “Too much meat isn’t good for your health. We should use some vegetables too, like carrots.”

“Although it was your entire fault, you shouldn’t beat yourself up about it. After all, you didn’t mean to-”

“I like carrots, I’ll get some.” I ambled into the freezer and shut the door behind me.

Please don’t leave me alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment